Pastor Pape was the Pastor of Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Adair, Oklahoma in 1942
, whose church twenty years later in 1962
would form an "alliance" as a dual parish under a single Pastor, Reverend John W. Hubertz.
St. John began as a mission station. It's members numbering about 64, meeting for worship in various locations: The Graham Community Building, the Oddfellows Lodge and even in the Harris Funeral Home.
During the late 40's and 50's, the Oklahoma District Mission Board had been somewhat hesitant about establishing a more "permanent" church in Pryor, Oklahoma. But through the persistent efforts of dedicated laymen, especially Mr. Bud Schnackenburg and his wife, Mildren, (residents of Pryor and former members of Bethlehem, Adair) the Mission Board was convinced to act, establishing St. John by building the present structure with funds from the Church Extention Fund. The Church was dedicated on June 10, 1956.
Rev. Russert of Bethlehem served St. John "unofficially", performing all official acts. Reverend Meyer of Redeemer, Claremore, Oklahoma and also Circuit Counselor, also performed official acts. Rev. Meyer in his first statistical report to the District reported:
38 average worship attendance.
With the 1987 building expansion of the fellowship hall and Sunday School rooms, St. John has grown to a present membership of 162 on October 15, 2006.